For current Bamfield road conditions, visit the Bamfield Road safety Association website:
From Victoria: There are two options for getting to Bamfield.
Via Duncan: Travel north on the #1 Island Highway to Duncan (1 hour). Just north of Duncan turn left on Hwy. 18, travelling west to Lake Cowichan. Passing through Lake Cowichan, you will enter a network of gravel logging roads. Follow the signs for Bamfield. The logging route approximately 120kms. Total travel time is ~ 4 hours.
Via Port Alberni: Travel north on the #1 Island Highway to Nanaimo. Continue north through Nanaimo, turning right at the Hwy. 4 exit for Port Alberni/Bamfield. Once you arrive in Port Alberni, follow the signs for Bamfield and the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. You will enter a gravel logging road that is approximately 76 kms. Follow the signs to Bamfield. Total travel time is ~ 4.5 hours.
From Nanaimo: From Departure Bay, turn right on the #1 Island Highway travelling north. Follow the directions as above to Port Alberni. Total travel time is ~ 3 hours.
IMPORTANT TIPS: Regardless of your start point, you will eventually be driving on a semi-public, logging road. The road is well maintained and well travelled, however, it is important for you to know the following:
- The road is narrow and winding which reduces visibility. It is recommended that you drive with your headlights on and reduce speeds accordingly. Pull over whenever possible to let others pass you.
- You will likely encounter logging trucks on the road as current logging activity is 7 days per week. They have the right of way, so please be considerate and yield to them. The truck drivers will generally pull over to let you pass once they are in an area where it is safe to do so.
- There are no rest stops or gas stations en route so ensure that your gas tank is filled before you embark on the logging road. It is always a good idea to carry some bottled water and snacks with you.
- Ensure that your fluids are topped up and that the spare tire is in good working order.
- Our guide will sometimes pick us up in Port Alberni in our boat (Aguilar 1), approx. 1hr 40 min one way
- Scenic boat cruise on the Frances Barkley from Port Alberni www.ladyrosemarine.com/schedule-rates
Charters from Vancouver/Victoria to Bamfield www.harbourair.com/
Scheduled flights from Vancouver/Victoria to Tofino, www.flyorcaair.com/ – taxi from Tofino Airport to Uclulet Harbour (approx. 24km), Boat trip on Aguilar 1 to Bamfield.
NorthStar Air Tours via Victoria (YYJ) – www.northstarairtours.com